Skip to main content

Veterans Programs

The best person to speak with concerning your benefits is your VA case worker. The VA case worker is assigned when you apply for your benefits through your  VA Education Benefits application. Although you may be eligible for more than one chapter of the GIBILL, you may only choose  one program. Note: if you select the Post 9/11 GIBILL you can not change this later.

The following information is from the WVU website through the GI Bill Website.

Steps to apply


The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

For more information see:

Information for active duty personnel.

Information for reservists.


The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay your tuition based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by a public educational institution in the state where the school is located. The amount of support that an individual may qualify for depends on where she/he lives and what type of degree she/he is pursuing, e.g. online or traditional classroom delivery.

Find more information on the Post-9/11 GI Bill.


Don’t let your service connected disability stop you from obtaining your educational goals. The VA will help those who qualify by paying tuition, fees, books and supplies, as well as, providing many other valuable services.

Veterans need to make application with a VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor and have the necessary disability rating.

Find more information on vocational rehabilitation.

Ready to get started?  

Need to speak to a faculty member from this department? Set up a chat.